Whether we choose to consciously accept the fact, how we look does impact the way we feel.
You might love the upcoming fashion trends but most of them suit only specific body types.
Don’t be disappointed – fashion is all about dressing for your shape. If you know your body type, then you will be able to find clothes that fit and flatter!
Women are generally afraid that ethnic wear can make them look bigger or older. Deciding between the perfect cut, style, fabric and fit can be exhausting.
To make things easier, here is our guide to pick the right traditional wear for your body shape:
1) Ethnic wear for a Pear body shape:
A very popular shape among Indian women, the pear shape is characterised by a wider lower body and a well-defined waistline. The key to go ethnic for this body type is to draw attention to your slender waist and upper torso.
What to wear:
- Balance your curves by wearing blouses or kurtas that have both detailing and volume. Wear low-cuts to create an illusion of an elongated midriff and draw attention to the upper half of your body.
- An A-line anarkali suit or a lehenga will look absolutely fierce on a pear-shaped body!
It is narrow at the top and flares at the base, which will minimise the curvy bottom, naturally making it appear slimmer.
- Wear smooth and soft fabric saris like georgette or chiffon to avoid too much bulk and texture.
- Prefer darker colours to streamline your lower body. Try black, navy, burgundy, charcoal, deep green or purple!
Go take some advantage of your slim waist by wearing a low waist lehenga or draping a saree just below the navel!
2) Ethnic wear for an Apple body shape:
If you have an apple-shaped body, most of your weight accumulates above your waist. Your back, ribs and shoulders are broad, and you may feel wider than other body types.
A good idea will be not to draw too much attention to your torso.
What to wear:
- An A-line kurta will suit you because it provides angular structure underneath the chest and the wide hemline along the bottom can help make your waist appear smaller. Perfect, isn’t it? But, wear it sans the pleats.
- Avoid stiff fabrics like brocade or tissue as they will make you look flat and rectangular.
- Don’t opt for patiala salwars. Highlight your best asset- those legs! Wear a churidar as it will draw attention to your slender legs.
- The embroidery and detailing should be delicate. The perfect way to avoid attention to your heavy torso.
3) Ethnic wear for an Hourglass body shape:
Your upper and lower body are similar in proportion and set off by a tiny waist. It is probably the most coveted body type. It won’t take too much to pick out the right ethnic wear for the hourglass figure.
Your shape is all about tastefully showing off those curves: not too baggy, not too tight.
What to wear:
- A fishtail or a mermaid-style lehenga would compliment you like no other. It is fitted till the knee and then flares out till the bottom, accentuating your body beautifully.
- You can safely opt for a ruched blouse or a heavily embellished long jacket over your lehenga to add a little volume to your body.
- Corsets or halter necklines will enhance the shape of your body. Go bold!
4) Ethnic wear for a Ruler-shaped/Straight body shape:
Your upper and lower torso is equal in width with an average bust, an undefined waist, a flat buttock and slender legs.
What to wear:
- Wear a straight cut lehenga that resembles a wrap-around skirt or feel like a princess by adding a lot of flounce to your lehenga. Take care about giving the right amount of flare, though. Don’t overdo it!
- Experiment with colour-blocking.
- Adding statement accessories to give the illusion of volume to your body.
- Choose a choli with a neckline that falls below the collarbone so as to give your upper torso an elongated look.
We hope you adapt these tips to your own personal style in a way that suits you! Quit envying other’s bodies- figure out your body shape and even you can evoke envy!
Image Courtesy: deccanchronicle.com, wallpapergallery7.blogspot.com, andhrareporter.com, salwartimes.com, bollywoodgo.net, sareesmania.com, alignwithnature.net
Share and get 15% off!
Simply share this product on one of the following social networks and you will unlock 15% off!